Deviock - A Rural Parish in SE Cornwall
Deviock Parish was founded in April 1997 from the southern section of the former St. Germans Parish combined with a small element of St.Martins by Looe (that is West Seaton, Trelowia and West Hessenford ) and an even smaller element of Morval comprising the Bickham Farm complex.
The Parish is most noteworthy for its scenery and as befits a coastal Cornish parish which bestraddles a Cornish river, the wildlife complement and the variety of habitats displayed is second to none.
Deviock Parish Statistics
The Parish (GSS code E04011428) lies in South East Cornwall, covering an area of just over 2,067 hectares.
There were 1,420 usual residents as at Census day 2011. The average (mean) age of residents was 47.3 years. In total there were 799 household spaces. Of these, 639 (80%) had at least one usual resident and 160 (20%) had no usual residents. There were over 244 children under 18 years.
The Parish Emblem
The Parish Emblem reflects ecclesiastical, historical and topographical features from all three elements.
Incorporated elements include :-
- Fifteen bezants of Cornwall
- House and Lilies of St Annes
- Cross of Copley
- Gold Sacs of St.Nicolas
- Saltire of Deviock
- Half Escarbuncle of St Martins
- Displayed Eagle of Morval
- Sea & River symbol from St.Germans Crest
- Ermine of St.Germans & Plouguerneau
- The Celtic triskels terminating a Celtic Ribbon
- 1 Primary School for children up to 11 years (St Nicolas )
- 3 Public Houses (Inn on the Shore, Smugglers Inn and Copley Arms)
- 4 Eating places (Summink Different, Seaton Beach Café, The Beach House and Tredinnick Farm Shop (the latter sitting just inside the neighbouring parish)
- 1 General Store in Downderry for groceries, papers with a Post Office on two days of the week.
- 2 Anglican Churches, St Nicolas at Downderry & St Anne at Hessenford
- 1 Methodist Church (usually known locally as The Zone)
- 1 Village Hall in Downderry (Downderry & Seaton Village Hall)
- 1 Church Hall in Hessenford
- 1 former Working Men’s club in Hessenford (known as the Institute building)
- 1 Public Telephone kiosk
- 3 Bus Shelters
- 2 Public Conveniences – Seaton & Downderry
- 2 War Memorials 1914-1918 & 1939-1945 in Downderry Memorial Garden and in Hessenford
- 1 Caravan Site (and several Camping Club sites)
- 1 Holiday Apartment Complex (Mount Brioni)